Thursday 8 June 2017

My First Sock

I decided in March that I wanted to make socks for the first time. My granny always offered to show me how but I was never intreseted. So fast forward to me regretting that and having to use YouTube and Google to figure out the terms in the pattern. Although I have been able to knit for as long as I can remember, I'm pretty much a blanket person with a couple of beanie hats made a few years ago. So I bought some wool and dpns and got started.


So sock knitting is a very different thing to me, trying to figure out dpns and knitting in the round and heel turns and toes and Kitchener stitch. Yea it was a bit daunting. But I persevered and ended up with an actual sock.


Ok it's a little big for me (I used 3mm needles and completely the wrong yarn) but it's a comfy sock and I would were it around the house. Notice I'm not using plurals here. I made one sock haha. This is mainly down to it being too big and wanting to retry the pattern using smaller needles and different yarn.

My first venture into sock making was a success and worked out way better than I expected so obviously I'm now hooked! I've ordered so much some yarn and have about 5 WIPS at the moment along with about a million 2.5mm dpns! The stitch holders and counter in the picture above belonged to my granny. I'm loving being able to use her bits and pieces now.

The pattern I used to make this sock can be found here. I found it by just searching on Google for an easy pattern to try. I found it easy to follow and ended up with a sock!

So I have a question. When did you start sock knitting and why? How did your first one time out? Let me know in the comments below.

Project Details:
Yarn: #19-4004 Søstrene Greene
           78% cotton, 22% acrylic
Pattern: Basic Sock Pattern 1
                Colour choices Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment